Feastday: September 27
Patron of charitable societies
St Michaels branch of St Vincent de Paul's
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a Christian voluntary organisation, working with poor and disadvantaged people.
Inspired by our principal founder, Frederic Ozanam, and our patron, St. Vincent de Paul, we seek to respond to the call every Christian receives to bring the love of Christ to those in need.
We are involved in a diverse range of activities:
At the moment SVdP consists of about 10 voluntary members.
- The South Africa Police Services in Rondebosch have been helping us with our monthly food tickets handout, our homeless meet there on the 3rd Friday of every month and St Pauls Anglican church assists with a plate of food or sandwiches.
- We have teamed up with U-Turn a non-profit organisation in Kenilworth, who restore self worth and self esteem to the street people, they are a professional organisation who document and counsel the homeless.
- We used to hand out food parcels from the church and 2 residential homes, which we have stopped ( as requested by the SAPS) because of certain very unsavoury elements.
- At St Michaels we work with the homeless looking for and assisting with shelter, clothing, the odd food parcels and assistance.
- The abject poor who live under our streets bridges or in the open, are helped with food tokens and the winter plastic sleeping bags and blankets.
- We visit and comfort the elderly in Welverdiend, Avonrust and certain other facilities.
- We financially sponsor the poorest of the poor in our twin conference, Matroosfontein where they feed around 58 families monthly at the moment.
- We visit certain seriously challenged wonderful people in Valkenberg Mental Hospital (Friends of Valkenberg).
- We hold an annual Christmas party there with the help of our wonderful folk choir, this is always a great treat for the patients and staff, and we party with as many as 200 patients on the day.
- SVdP special volunteers collect and sell food vouchers after all masses.
- We visit many lonely and destitute families and individuals weekly.
- We survived so far on a generous donation given to us by an estate late, and various extremely important anonymous cash, clothing and bric-a-brac donations. (Our boxes /”for the poor” & Society of St Vincent de Paul” are in the porch)
If you are able too, please Make a Donation to our St Vincent de Paul Society at St Michaels.
Add us as a beneficiary in your will and testament. Leave a legacy…..
We NEED estate and cash donations urgently, financials are available for any willing donor.
Support and friendship
Through person to person contact, we are committed to respecting the dignity of those we assist and to foster their self-respect. In the provision of material and other support, we assure confidentiality at all times and endeavour to establish relationships based on trust and friendship.
We believe it is not enough to provide only short term material support.
Those we assist must also be helped to achieve self-sufficiency in the longer term and the sense of self-worth this provides.
When the problems we encounter are beyond our competence, we enlist the support of others more specialised.
PLEASE ADD TO YOUR ELECTRONIC PAYMENTS LIST: OR DONATE BY DEPOSIT OR DEBIT ORDER
Any amount will be used to assist the needy.
Bank:________________ STANDARD BANK ; RONDEBOSCH ; CAPE TOWN
Account Name:________ St. Vincent de Paul Society St Michaels Conference.
Account Number:______ CHEQUE ACCOUNT 071 488 944
Sort Code:___________ 02 50 09
“Visitation”, is the Principal Work of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
Even the first Christmas family “needed a little help”, please help us to help others desperately in need.
Contact: Toby Hoffmann on
or John Biermann